Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Zendala

I mentioned the other day that I like tangling mandalas.  A blogging friend asked what a mandala is.  My understanding was that it is a circle with repeating geometric designs within the circle.  I had no idea that they have religious beginnings.  As I searched I read that a mandala is a spiritual and ritual symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism representing the universe.  I have to tell you I have mixed feelings about this.  As a Christian, I'm not happy to think I'm dabbling in religions and symbols contrary to my own.  In my research, I discovered something called a Zendala which is a cross between Zentangle and a mandala.  I've seen the Zendala style appearing in a lot of coloring books for adults.  All that being said, I'm choosing to view them as a simple art form with no religious intention.

Here are a few I've tangled over the past few years:











On the sewing front, I put together the sandwich for my OMG - One Monthly Goal project.  I may make the deadline yet.  That gives me 2 days to quilt and 2 days to bind it.  It's looking a lot more doable that before.  My least favorite part of any quilt is making the sandwich.  I'm encouraged now that is behind me.

Hope you have a good day.

-- Pat

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your Zentangle creations are gorgeous. I would have never guessed they were spiritual in origin.

    ReplyDelete